Saturday, November 24, 2007

Professionalism is not selfishness

I have heard this being said many times- I am a professional hence I cannot let petty things like emotions, relationships come in the way of my work! But too often this is done at the cost of other people's emotions.
Professionalism becomes the pseudonym for greed, selfishness and often just plain indifference to people who at some time have made a major difference to your life.
On TV, I heard a woman say "We are programmed to expect something in return for all that we do. That's just the way we are programmed as professionals!" I do hope we all don't get programmed because for me professionalism is not NOT feeling anything but taking on those 'family' responsibilities and sacrificing your own happiness while still accomodating those around you.
So the quote for the day by a great man (don't remember who) "Nobody said on their deathbed, I should have spent more time at the office" (...but a lot of people do say that I should have spent more time with my family!)

No comments: